Knowing how to set up eero Internet Backup will help eero router owners get back online quickly and easily when their home Internet goes down.
Besides being a few the best mesh Wi-Fi systems available today that eero Pro 6:, eero Pro 6e: and other eero routers can now use your phone’s mobile hotspot or even one of them the best mobile hotspots to quickly bring your PC, TV and other smart home devices online.
It’s worth noting that you must be an eero Plus subscriber to use eero Internet Backup. Eero’s subscription service costs $9.99 per month or $99.99 per year, but for the price you get advanced parental controls, network insights, best password managers and even a VPN: in addition to being able to use your smartphone or mobile hotspot as a backup connection.
If your internet often goes down when the weather is bad, or you often deal with ISP service outages, having a good backup option makes a lot of sense. Although you can use your phone’s mobile hotspot, it requires you to manually connect all your devices. However, with eero Internet Backup, all devices connected to your network connect automatically because your hotspot’s signal goes through your router instead.
Here’s how to set up eero Internet Backup.
How to set up eero Internet Backup
- Open the eero app
- Click on Internet and then Eero Internet Backup.
- Turn on your mobile hotspot
- Select add storage network
- Find your mobile hotspot and enter the password
- Try eero Internet Backup to make sure it works
Read on to see detailed instructions for each step.
1. Open the eero app on your smartphone. From here, you want knock Settings on the lower right and open Software version to make sure you are using eero app version 6.25.1 or higher. if not update the app before starting to the latest version.
2. Click on Internet above and after the eero app select eero Internet Backup Under the wire connection. In the Internet backup section, enable function.
3. Turn on your mobile hotspot. Before you can set up eero Internet Backup in the eero app, you must enable the mobile hotspot feature on your smartphone or enable your mobile hotspot if you have a separate device. (This how to create a Wi-Fi hotspot on iPhone and: how to create a Wi-Fi hotspot on Android if you need help).
4. If your mobile hotspot is enabled, you need to select Add storage network from the eero app.
5. Touch your mobile hotspot and enter the password. The eero app will show a list of all available networks and you need to find the mobile hotspot you want to use with eero Internet Backup.
6. Now that your backup network is configured, it’s time to test it to make sure it will work during an internet outage. From the Internet Backup main menu, tap Test Backup to get started. If you have multiple backup networks, you should select which one to test and then knock Test backup. A prompt will appear warning you that your eero network will be down for a few minutes during the test. Click Continue to conduct the test.
A test will be performed to see if your mobile hotspot is properly configured to act as a backup connection for your eero router. After the test is complete, you’ll see details, including the date and time, so you know when you last tested each backup connection.
And there you have it. Your eero router will now use your phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot or standalone mobile hotspot to get you back online when your home internet goes out. However, keep in mind that your mobile carrier’s data charges still apply, and internet speeds from your phone won’t be as fast as what you get with one of these best cable modems Looking for other ways to improve your internet setup at home, check out our guide How to turn an old router into a Wi-Fi extender, how to see who is on your wifi network and: how to get faster internet at home for free.